Saturday, 17 May 2014

BFX Bonus Mission

Factory/Paper Person Concept
Seeing as Pups was going so well I had a keen interest in entering the BFX Competion this year. Lincoln University did a wonderful job last year and it was a hard act to follow. I was invited into a group of second years, they wanted an all girl team and being female and having team experience meant they thought I would be a good candidate. When I joined they still didn't know what idea to go with so I helped organise to story side of development by becoming the story artist. Working together we agree to base our animation on the 'I Created a Munter' script. We went with themes like the social pressures to become beautiful and in the constant pursuit of beauty one can loose there humanity.


Story Concept Suggestions
I suggested that the people who go through these radical changes turn into 'paper people'. Their face and bodies becoming like a collage of magazine images. I was inspired by the game 'Grim Fandango' during the Land of the Living portion. A brief section in the game in which the main character, a grim reaper, goes to the land of living to pick up a soul, the perfect 50's Americana setting is off set by these deformed faces. I thought it was something that could be applied to our message. Fine tuning your beauty, like you would when you making collage or any artwork, to an excessive amount can cause you to loose your true self.

The 30 second animation takes place is a factory in which people go to become perfect. The main character, a young woman, goes on the conveyor belt ready for her new look. She becomes intimidated by the machine and is pulled through and when spat out the other side has been transformed into this paper being. Horrified at what she's done to herself she pulls herself apart. Scraps of her self land on the floor and it pulls out to reveal other piles of paper which are other people who shared her fate.


 


We went through a few ideas but this came out the strongest. I made a few rough story concept pieces and the final storyboard and then the final animatic. It's a great experiance. I've been made lead Story Artist and Lead 2D Animator.

Last week it was announced that we made it into the finals and now we're set to go to Bournemouth for 6-7 weeks. It's exciting and I hope we do Lincoln proud! Our pitch can be viewed here!

Final Animatic

No comments:

Post a Comment